Temporary Visitor Visa (PIP-2 / PTP-2)

To study at a Colombian University you will need either a Temporary Visitor visa or a Colombian Student Visa. Without either of these you will not be allowed to attend classes.

What’s the difference? The Temporary Visitor visa is the simpler and cheaper option. This is the best option if you’re planning on studying 90 days or less. If you’re studying more than 90 days then the Student Visa (TP-3) is your only option.

If you have decided which university you want to study at and are comfortable to enroll from abroad then you can have the Temporary Visitor visa (PIP-2) stamped in your passport upon arrival into Colombia, at no cost to you. All you need to do is ask for it when entering Colombian immigration and show them the following documents provided by the University when you enrolled.

    1. Certificate of Registration (provided after you have paid for the course/s);
    2. Legal Existence Certificate of the university

Already in Colombia? If you have already arrived into Colombia and want to study at a university then you will need to convert your Temporary Tourist visa (PIP-5) into a Temporary Visitor visa (PTP-2). This has to be done at La Unidad Administrativa Especial Migración Colombia (Migration Colombia, or otherwise known as “the former DAS”). There is a charge for this.

More Information:

The Colombian university you want to study with should be able to explain in more detail the procedure to apply for a Temporary Visitor visa.

Otherwise you may want to contact La Unidad Administrativa Especial Migración Colombia (UAEMC). 

Click the following links to view the Migration Colombia website or the Migration Colombia contact details.

Working Hours in Bogota and Medellin 8:00 am to 4:00 pm

Working Hours in the rest of Colombia: 8:00 am to 12:00 then 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm